Category Archives: Places to visit

Historical and Spooky Places in Bataan

Have you been fascinated with spooky places?

I may be reading or watching documentaries about haunted places, but I don’t dare visit one.

But in 2006, we went to see the historical place of Corregidor through the invitation of friends from a pharmaceutical company. To be clear, we did not engage in ghost hunting.

The educational trip, albeit, short gave us the chance to relax from all the busy schedules of covering the health beat.

Sharing here some of the photos from the trip

In the photo were some members of the media and a group of public relations officers. 

Historically, Malinta Tunnel is regarded as one of the most haunted tunnels in the country. 

Today, Malinta Tunnel is the venue of an audio-visual presentation by National Artist Lamberto V. Avellana depicting events of World War II.

Ms. Stargazer encircled the images of what she perceived as ghosts.

The tunnel saw thousands of Japanese soldiers who performed suicide instead of surrendering to the American troops during the Second World War.

These photos don’t mean to scare you. I shared them to commemorate All Souls DayLet’s offer a prayer for the souls of those who perished inside the tunnel.

Despite the eerie feelings brought by the said trip, I would still go back to visit other areas of Corregidor.

How about you, have you had the same eerie experience in your past or recent travels?

Additional info from Wikipedia

Historical Parks Are Now Open to the Public

People who have missed places like the Rizal Park and Intramuros can now visit them only if they qualify under the Inter-Agency Task Force guidelines.

The Rizal Park and other sites in Intramuros welcomed tourists last Sept. 16, as authorities started testing a new quarantine classification system in Metro Manila.

This photo was taken from our last visit to Intramuros in 2013.

The Inter-Agency Task Force guidelines said only visitors from 18 to 65 years old are allowed to enter.

The Department of Tourism said Rizal Park is open from 5 a.m. to 9 a.m. with a maximum capacity of 500 visitors. Visitors will be required to accomplish contact tracing forms before entering the park.

“One of the oldest Hispanic stone fortresses in the country. In pre-colonial times, this was the site of Rajah Soliman’s “kuta” or fort. The Spaniards under the term of Governor Gomez Perez Dasmarinaz fortified what was originally stone structures.”(Taken from a flyer handed out at ticket booth.)

Meantime, the Fort Santiago in Intramuros is open from 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. every Monday to Friday and from 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. The site will have a maximum capacity of 150 people.

The Baluarte de San Diego will be operating daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with a maximum capacity of 80 people.

The memorial cross represents the demise of a total of 600 Filipinos inside Forth Santiago during the Second World War. The dungeon served as an execution chamber of political prisoners from the Spanish to Japanese period.

Tourism authorities said an express lane in both Intramuros sites caters to fully vaccinated visitors as perks. It means that they can accomplish the contact tracing form after entering and present it to security personnel before they exit.

Also, Plaza San Luis is open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily.

To ensure safety, the DOT said mandatory temperature checks and minimum health protocols will be implemented in the tourist sites.

The Rizal Shrine. This is where Dr. Jose Rizal spent his last few days after he was convicted for sedition. At present, “Rizal Shrine serves as a museum where mementos of the hero can be viewed.”

It added that 99% of Intramuros administration workers and 96% of all stationed personnel at the Rizal Park have been fully vaccinated as of Sept. 14.

The historic walled city of Intramuros was cited last year as Asia’s leading tourist attraction by the World Travel Awards.

Credit to cnnphilippines.com for the news story.

Safe Travels Stamp for the Philippines

This is good news for those who loves to travel. The Philippines has recently been awarded the ‘Safe Travels’ stamp by the World Travel and Tourism Council.

According to WTTC President and CEO Gloria Guevara, the Philippines is the 100th destination to be given an award. This means that “the 100 destinations are working together to help rebuild consumer confidence worldwide.”

The specially designed stamp enables travellers to recognise destinations around the world which have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols – so they can experience ‘Safe Travels’.

This landmark move by WTTC also received the backing of the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO).

The safe travels stamp is now also being used by many more major holiday destinations such as the Maldives, Bermuda, Namibia, Uganda and Montenegro.

WTTC, which is based in London, represents the global travel and tourism private sector.

Source: https://travelcommunication.net/destinations/wttc-celebrates-as-100-destinations-get-the-safe-travels-stamp/